For Such A Time As This
PRAYER, FASTING AND ACTION (#PrayFastAct): The next “For Such a Time” day of prayer, fasting and action with the Episcopal Church is Friday, July 21. This month, the presiding bishops of both churches urge action to protect funding for the U.S. International Affairs budget. Our country has a rich history of fighting extreme poverty and responding to humanitarian crises around the world. Although it’s less than 1 percent of the federal budget, foreign assistance has saved millions of lives and continues to do so today. With more than 20 million people at risk of starvation globally, and millions more displaced, the need for foreign assistance is as great as it has ever been.
As a church together, we ask our members of Congress to protect funding for international programs that provide relief and support livelihood for the poorest among us. Visit elca.org/PrayFastAct for resources and to learn how to take action.
Y’all Means All
Why Are We Called to be Involved in Advocacy?
Connecting faith and public life
As members of the ELCA, we believe that we are freed in Christ to serve and love our neighbor. God uses our hands, through our direct service work and our voices, through our advocacy efforts, to restore and reconcile our world. Through faithful advocacy, the ELCA lives out our Lutheran belief that governments can help advance the common good.
ELCA advocacy works for change in public policy based on the experience of Lutheran ministries, programs and projects around the world and in communities across the United States. We work through political channels on behalf of the following biblical values: peacemaking, hospitality to strangers, care for creation, and concern for people living in poverty and struggling with hunger and disease.
Join a growing movement
Together, we achieve things on a scale and scope that we could never do otherwise. When we act as a coordinated network of advocates and reach out to officials on relevant, timely issues, we effectively impact public policies. Join thousands of ELCA members — sign up for the ELCA e-Advocacy Network now.
We are a church that rolls up our sleeves and gets to work. Stand up for policies that create opportunities to overcome poverty, promote peace and dignity, and defend God’s creation — visit the Advocacy News and Updates page to find advocacy opportunities now.
On the Advocacy resources page, you’ll find information that will educate and equip you to be a more effective advocate.
Featured Resource for July
Reformation Anniversary planning and promotional tools are available on ELCA500.org. These include:
- Anniversary logo for use in official congregation and synod Reformation anniversary activities
- Anniversary ideas for developing activities
- Ideas for promotion, including samples from congregations
- Promotional PDF posters to fill in and communicate activities
- Promotional postcard for communicating the website and social media
Save the Date
July 29, 10am – 3pm
Recent Blog Post
(https://ntnl.org/first-lutheran-waco-stewards-mission-together/ – published Jul 11)
Where in the world is?
- Jul. 20 – Dallas Area Metro North Conference meeting
- Jul. 23 – Trinity, Wichita Falls
- Jul. 18 – Advent, Arlington, and Messiah, Weatherford
- Jul. 20 – Stewardship Team meeting, Synod office
- Jul. 1-31: Christmas in July (Mosaic)
- Jul. 21: Pray, Fast, Act
- Jul. 21-23: The Bold Gathering (Lutheran Men in Mission)
- Jul. 29: Public Witness Team follow-up: Faith, Sexism, and Justice conversation
- Aug. 1: #YallMeansAll Interfaith Lobby Day at the Capitol
- Aug. 5: NT-NL SWO Summer Retreat
- Aug. 5: Briarwood Clean-Up Day
- Aug. 7-10: ELCA Rostered Ministers Gathering
- Aug. 12: Public Witness Team monthly meeting
- Aug. 12: NT-NL SWO Women’s Retreat
- Aug. 19: MEF Board meeting
- Aug. 26: NT-NL SWO Board Meeting
Access our full online Calendar here. Updates made regularly.
Do you have news or announcements to share? Please submit to the Synod office (MissionOffice@ntnl.org) for consideration for our next NT-NL News.
Looking for information in past NT-NL News? Find NT-NL News archives here!