Pastor Cheryl Walenta Gorvie, Chair
Pastor Kris Totzke, Bishop’s Associate for Leadership Formation and Congregational Care
The ELCA Candidacy Process is designed to move in steps and stages as the candidate and committee discern together the call to ministry that is growing in the candidate’s life. It is a journey that both take together in order to see where God might be leading. The committee offers support, guidance, mirroring and encouragement to the candidate and has the responsibility for assessing the candidate’s skills, faith and readiness for ministry within the ELCA.
The Rosters of the ELCA
The ELCA recognizes four rosters of dedicated and professional service:
- Associates in Ministry: College graduates with some course work in theology and an area of specialization
- Deaconess: Members of the Deaconess Community who have an academic degree appropriate to their profession.
- Diaconal Ministers: Two years of seminary study and a calling to serve at the intersection of church and world.
- Ordained Ministers: Four years of seminary study and a calling to provide Word and Sacrament ministry.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America provides helpful information on the Candidacy section of its website. Learn more:
- Discerning a Call
- Guidelines for Discernment
- General Information about Candidacy
- Application and other Forms used in Candidacy (click on Candidates)
- The Candidacy Manual (PDF)
- Vision and Expectations
NT-NL’s Candidacy Committee
The full committee meets three times per year (May, August, December) and at other times as needed. The December meeting is in conjunction with the annual Candidacy Retreat for all who are in candidacy.
Candidates may meet with the committee at any time and must meet with the committee for these three decisions:
- Entrance: to be granted entrance into the candidacy process
- Endorsement: to be granted permission to continue in candidacy (about halfway through the time of study and formation)
- Approval: to be approved for being called and rostered within the ELCA.
To Inquire About Candidacy
To inquire about beginning the candidacy process, contact Pastor Kris Totzke, Bishop’s Associate (email@example.com; 940-241-2099).
- You may wish to begin with just some informal conversation about the journey you find yourself on.
- If you choose to move forward, you will be directed to complete a candidacy application; there is an application fee of $200.
- The application process continues with an initial interview, an autobiographical essay, criminal and personal background checks, registration by your home congregation, career and psychological assessment, and other informational items.
Members of the NT-NL Candidacy Committee
God grant you vision and clear discernment!